Sunday, August 25, 2013

Day 1

On any 14 hour flight it's important to bring the basics. Pillow, earplugs, food if you're nuts about your food and think airplane food is revolting, books, and a laptop if you're able. I filled the first 6 hours of the flight with a lot of reading. I could probably tell you everything you'd ever want to know about your digestion thanks to a phenomenal book called The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolfe. Chances are good that you don't care about digestion so I'll move on. By the time I was ready to attempt sleep, knowing full well that it would be a stretch, the infant in the next row decided it would be a good time to start screaming bloody murder. How dandy. Nothing an ambien and earplugs couldn't solve. I wouldn't say I slept the next 9 hours but I wouldn't say I was awake either. I was in some type of irritating in between land flirting with the line of unconsciousness but never quite falling over the edge into a peaceful slumber. I gave up trying with about an hour left to go. Excitement and adrenaline replaced fatigue and we made it through customs and to our connecting flight from Johannesburg to a tiny airport about 15 minutes from the game reserve.

We were met at the airport by an energetic safari clad guide who gladly carried our suitcases for us to the jeep. The jeep had 3 rows of stadium style seating and was completely open. The ride to the resort was an outstanding way to start our trip considering we were greeted by a curious giraffe peeking behind a tree as if we couldn't see the 20 plus feet of him. The guide brought the jeep to a rolling stop and let us admire said giraffe as he welcomed us to South Africa. Yup it was real now.

After pulling into the resort, which by describing as gorgeous would be an extreme understatement, we were greeted with a glass of wine to which we both politely declined, and briefed on our stay. Game drives were every morning at 6:30 AM and every evening at 4 PM. Bush walks occurred at 9 AM and there were several additional activities that we could and obviously would partake in. An elephant interaction, massage at their wellness centre, and a visit to a cheetah rehabilitation center were inevitably added to the to do list. After discussing all of our options we made our way to lunch. I was surprised that there were actually food options for me! Thank god. If you know me well, you know I'm a pain in the ass about food. At lunch we were greeted, or more appropriately, irritated by a gentleman named Joel. Joel was a bit on the slow side and I'm not referencing the speed of his service. He was to be our waiter for the week and Joel was fond of small talk. He enthusiastically told us the thrilling tale of the meaning behind his surname. It means milk. Sorry I spoiled the ending of the story. I must admit I was being unkind. Let's blame the 14 hour flight and being overtired to the point of delirium and apparently irritability. Aside from Joel Milk's frequent status checks we were able to enjoy meatballs and veggies before we made our way to our room.

We were upgraded to a Spa Suite thanks to my parents' dive travel company. Bless their dive loving hearts because this room is BEAUTIFUL. The balcony overlooks the bush and my mother swears she saw a giraffe walk by. I'm not so sure but we have seen some small critters here and there. The bathroom is stunning with a bathtub situated next to a glass wall also overlooking the dense brush going back as far as the eye can see. The tub enthusiast in me was elated the second I saw this added luxury.

Four o' clock rolled around quickly and it was time for our first official game drive. I only say official because I considered the ride from the airport a bit of a game drive considering the welcoming we got. We sat in the back row of the jeep with our tour guide Freedon, our tracker Ringo (seriously those were their names. I'm not making this stuff up,) a couple from Germany, and a couple from Brazil. They were all very nice and our guides seemed to know exactly what they were doing.

First and foremost I'd advise anyone going on a game drive to dress warm! This was a mistake I made although it didn't bother me all that much because I was distracted by my own amazement. It gets REALLY cold when the sun goes down. When we left it was in the 80s and sunny. When we returned it was probably 50 degrees and the wind in the jeep made it all the more chilling. I'm getting ahead of myself. The drive was incredible. It was unreal, spectacular, absolutely amazing. I'm not even exhaggurating. There's nothing like being out in the wild, breathing the fresh air, seeing the dirt kick up swirling around you and hearing the branches cracking under the heavy wheels of the jeep. And that's before you even see an animal! Being out here is just a whole different world. I feel the same way when I scuba dive. It takes you so far away, farther than you physically are from home you are mentally in an entirely different world. The first animals we saw were Zebra and let me tell you they are weird looking animals! They were pretty shy and didn't get very close to the jeep. Next we found ourselves immersed in a sea of Buffalo. Hundreds surrounded us. Their horns reminded me of colonial wigs. The males moreso than the females and we were told this is because they grow together on the top of their heads to help them to avoid brain damage when they fight. They also told us they are the most dangerous of the "Big 5" because they show absolutely no warning before they attack. They told us this as we sat amidst hundreds of these deceavingly docile looking creatures. Well that's unsettling! Don't worry though, Freedom assured us that they don't attack you when you're in the jeep as you are not seen as a threat in that scenario. When you're on foot that's a whole different story and one you wouldn't live to tell.

We saw a few more giraffe and I would never, ever get sick of seeing giraffe. They are just beautiful, gentle, and incredibly interesting creatures. They are shy but very curious. They look at you with as much interest as you them. Despite the fact that they probably see a dozen jeeps full of people every day they still look on at you as if it's the first time and they are baffled by your presence.

A little later we passed a water hole and someone pointed out a giant hippo impersonating a rock. It took a bit of concentration to make out this sleeping beast but sure enough there he was sound asleep on the shore of the watering hole. I've heard hippos are a-holes and for that reason the guide didn't drive very close. One does not want to wake a sleeping hippo. Luckily, being the savvy travelers that we are, my mother and I were equipped with binoculars and we were able to get a closer look. I hadn't even considered the fact that we'd see a hippo. To be honest I forgot about hippos altogether! I couldn't stop thinking about Hungry, Hungry, Hippos after that.

The sun started to go down and the drive became a whole new game. Only the headlights of the jeep and the flashlight the tracker was using to scan back and forth kept us from being out in the open wilderness in the pitch black of night. On our way back to camp we passed the watering hole that the hippos were sleeping next to and noticed eyes on the water. The hippos had woken and met up with a few friends in the water. Six total hippo eyes stared at us from the water. I have to say it was certainly an eventful first drive!

The night ended with dinner in the beautiful outdoor dinner area surrounding a fire pit, which was also a pleasant surprise because the food was amazing. I ate myself into a food coma and that combined with lack of sleep lead to a very early bed time.

The internet is spotty at best so posting pictures is a challenge. I've been posting pictures from my phone to my facebook Day 1 Pictures

The videos and GoPro pics will have to wait until I'm home. Womp Womp! (They will blow your mind!)

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post, Erin! Can't wait to read more.
    BTW- Hungry, Hungry, Hippos is a regular game in our house!

    ReplyDelete