Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Day 3: The Voyeuristic Giraffe

Day 3

The morning drive was beautiful. We went somewhere we hadn't gone before and it's what I pictured when thinking of Africa. That wide open plane that stretches on as far as the eye can see. Few antelope scattered about and several warthogs. Warthogs are funny. They startle VERY easily and when they get startled their tails go straight up in the air right before they scatter. Tails up and they're off. They scatter whenever the jeep comes by so it's  hard to get a picture of them. We saw some babies with little mini mullets. They were actually pretty adorable considering how disgusting of an animal they really are. Sorry Pumba but you're gross. I guess it's understandable that they feel the need to high-tail it out of there (get the pun?) considering they eat warthog here. Full disclosure.. I ate some. It's actually very good. Again, I'm so sorry Pumba! Timon is going to be PISSED. The open range is apparently usually filled with hundreds and hundreds of antelope but not today and the reason is well worth the lack of photo opportunity. Two lionesses were lounging on the range, which explains why any animal that's smart, (and there are definitely a few dummies) were far away from the dangerous duo. We got pretty close to the lazy lions and they were being absolutely adorably affectionate. I'm almost certain they were dating. Yes other species have homosexuality too! The lionesses were definitely the main attraction of our morning drive but we also saw some zebra and giraffes. I honestly never get tired of seeing giraffe. We probably see the most of them and I sit in awe every time.

During the afternoon in between drives we decided to hit up the spa. I got a hydro-detox bath and hot stone massage. The bath was amazing but I had an audience. A voyeuristic giraffe was privy to my private time and watched with intent curiosity. If it wasn't so exciting seeing a giraffe while taking a bath I would have been mildly uncomfortable. When the masseuse came to tell me that it was time to do the massage of course I accidentally hit the drain water button and as the tub water got lower the jets started shooting water in every direction and there I am half naked trying to figure out how to fix it while a giraffe looks on in what I can only assume is amusement. After I navigated through shooting water to get a towel I told the woman that I was an idiot and broke the tub. She laughed and quickly turned the water off assuring me that I wasn't the only person who has made this mistake. Phew. The massage was amazing. Let me tell you something about hot stone massages though, in case you've never had one. The stones are friggin HOT. There's a reason they don't call it luke warm stone massage. A few times I flinched from the scalding hot stone but most of the time it was hot but not to the point of discomfort. Definitely glad I did it and I felt so relaxed afterwards. During the last ten minutes of so I heard something eating leaves nearby. When the massage was done and she took the mask off my face who other than the voyeuristic giraffe would be having a snack five feet away. I think that giraffe had a thing for me. The next two hours we spent lounging by the spa pool while some wild animals hung around the watering hole. Not a bad way to spend the afternoon!

The night drive would be what an avid safari goer would call uneventful. I on the other-hand find great entertainment in watching a squirrel so there is no such thing as an uneventful South African safari game drive in my mind. We didn't see any of the big 5 but we did see several giraffe, some buffalo, a lot of deer 2.0 (their real name escapes me so I've named them deer 2.0. You can guess what they look like by the name), and some warthogs. We also got an in depth lesson on Rhino poop from Freedom also known as the dungspert. Despite the lack of big 5 I still really enjoyed this drive.

Day 3 Pics


No comments:

Post a Comment