Friday, August 23, 2013

It's been months since my mother asked me if I wanted to go to South Africa. Actually, she said "Guess What! We're going to South Africa!" It was a safe bet that I wouldn't think twice given the opportunity to safari in South Africa. When I mentioned to a few friends at my gym that I was going today they were surprised considering I hadn't mentioned it before. It occurred to me that I really hadn't talked much about the trip. There's something very surreal about going on a South African safari. To be honest it hasn't felt real and as I sit  here in the fancy Swiss Gold Card member lounge in the airport it still doesn't feel real.
Drinking Espresso in the lounge because I'm classy like that

Caffeine <3
Confession: The Espresso sucked
Now we wait to board a 14 hour flight and I'm thinking about the events leading up to today. After my mom told me we were going to South Africa it seemed as though time flew by and I hadn't thought much about the trip. Like I said, it's been surreal. It wasn't until 1 week ago that it hit me, we're actually going to SOUTH AFRICA! Who does that?! After a passive aggressive suggestion by my mother I began packing last week. What does one even bring to South Africa?? We decided to pack as light as possible. It's not like there's anyone I need to impress on a safari. We agreed we'd wear the same clothes for safari walks and drives. I highly doubt a lion will gossip with his pride that Erin and Joyce were seen wearing the same hoodies they wore the day prior. During the day we'd have a lot of down time between safaris and the pool looked extremely inviting in the pictures so a bathing suit was necessary. Check. That pretty much did it for the days we'd be spending on safari. The rest of the time we'll be in Capetown so we each packed 2 pairs of pants, a few tee shirts, 1 or 2 long sleeve shirts, socks, gloves, and a rain jacket. We both wore our sneakers. I also packed a few workout outfits because I'm sick like that and plan on exercising while we're there. Don't judge me. We needed to bring food of course because I'm a stickler when it comes to food. I need healthy choices and traveling makes that tough. Solution? Paleo Beef Stix! Yum!
shockingly organized
Between the two of us we had one bag to be checked, one carry on, and a backpack. Not bad! I threw a couple of travel friendly food options in my backpack to eat on the plane and the rest went in the checked bag. Our laptops went in the backpack along with some books, a small pillow, and other essentials like cell phones, sunglasses, eye mask, and our passports. Organization is not either of our strong suits but I have to say I am impressed with how well we managed to get everything together. We didn't even forget anything! At least I don't think we did.. Hmm. Guess we'll find out for sure when we get there. Now it's almost time to board the plane and in 14 short (and by short I mean excruciatingly long) hours we'll be on the adventure of a lifetime!

Hated saying bye to my baby



1 comment:

  1. I am so excited for you and your mom. I can't wait to see some photos from your trip.

    ReplyDelete